Here are some signs that I am losing it ever so slightly while Mad Dog is away:
1. T.Puzzle wore his nighttime pull-up to school (thankfully, it was dry!) and I didn’t realize this mistake until 6:30 pm that evening. He proudly announced he kept it ‘cwean and dry all day’. Good for you, son.
2. I enthusiastically told my boys that I bought light up pumpkins only to discover that these magical squashes needed batteries that were not in my possesion when I really believed I had some. That kind of squashed our night.
3. I lost Full Speed’s tae kwon do belt again. It’s almost as if his purple belt is made up of Mommy-repellent thread. I literally can never find it when I need it and I’m usually in a time crunch (in OCD terms this means I’m actually running on time and not my normal fifteen minutes ahead of schedule).
4. I’ve been laughing out loud while viewing the ‘Penguins of Madagascar‘ cartoon with the boys. Those penguins crack me up. Or, maybe I am simply cracking. A fine line I’m sure…
5. Any reserve tank of extra patience has been completely diminished and I have lost all calm ability to answer every question, validate every comment or observation and give my complete, undivided attention to T.Puzzle’s and Full Speed’s every utterance or behavior. Really. Empty. Gone. Goodbye.
6. I am cheesing out on the nighttime story ritual. I’ve only managed to do it twice in Mad Dog’s absence. Like I always say to my kids, “Don’t show me you are sorry with you’re words, show me you’re sorry with your behavior.” I promise, I’ll do stories tomorrow. Really. Honest. Absolutely.
P.S.: We quickly recovered from our absence of batteries and I was able to run to the store to replenish our supplies. The pumpkins have been enjoyed by all. So, the system is imperfect but the results are good. That’s all you can ask for when you are ‘solo’ parenting.
- Pumpkin Farmers Profit With Odd, Ugly Varieties (abcnews.go.com)
4 thoughts on “Losing It”
Hang in there!!! Single mom-ing it for this long is tough…but the end is near! 🙂 no judgement from me on skimping on story time.
Thank you! Overall, it hasn’t been too bad. You must never, ever tell my husband this!
Love the pumpkins! The boys look like they are having a great time with them 🙂 So T.Puzzle wore his nighttime pull-up to school? What exactly is that??
You are doing a great job especially with two boys by yourself while Mad Dog is out of town.
Have a sensational Friday :)!
Since he is potty-trained (praise the lord!), he wears underpants during the day but at night he still wears a pull-up diaper. Both my boys do since they sleep on average 11-12 hours, sometimes their bladders don’t hold all night. With time, they will be in underwear ’round the clock.