I was reading some headlines on the computer when one caught my eye. It listed 10 signs that children are gifted. Of course being a parent I was inclined to read it. They were fairly non-specific and I didn’t leave it with any real sense of whether or not Full Speed and/or T.Puzzle fit the bill. I then imagined a ‘gifted’ list that would fit my boys to a T.
1. Throws raging tantrums at fifteen months until the age of five.
2. Believes themselves to be in charge when all evidence points otherwise.
3. Displays episodes of extreme hyperactivity.
4. Won’t back down from any challenge, imposed discipline or confrontation without a fight.
5. Fiercely independent.
6. Remembers the tiniest details and won’t ever let you forget them.
7. Strong-willed doesn’t even began to cover their temperament.
8. Believes themselves to always, always be right and will argue until they are blue in the face to convince you of their rightness.
9. Asserts their needs loudly, strongly and often.
10. Wears down their Mommy until she is certain she can’t remember her own name, where she lives or what she is doing.
Keep in mind this list was written while T.Puzzle was in his room screaming at length because he kept telling me ‘no!’ all morning long and had engaged in his new favorite past-time of ‘run-away-from-Mommy-in-the-parking-lot’.
Thankfully, I’m gifted at discipline.